Mission Statement and Vision
The Center for Undergraduate Research’s (CUGR) primary mission is to increase, improve and enhance undergraduate students’ participation and experiences in research, scholarship and creative activity. Undergraduate research allows motivated and interested students to become critically engaged in a culture of independent learning and participate in the creation of new knowledge. Through student-faculty collaborations and mentoring partnerships, students develop the tools and resources needed to achieve an authentic understanding of the research endeavor, the pinnacle of an educational experience. Undergraduate research, broadly defined and understood, incorporates current students into the fabric of the University and attracts prospective students who want to be active participants in their education. Undergraduate research also provides an opportunity for faculty to expand their own research programs and enhance mentoring skills through training new members of their disciplines.
CUGR achieves its mission by providing leadership, coordination and support for research activities across campus. It builds upon UMaine’s strengths and strategic goals as the state’s leading research university, taking advantage of the hundreds of faculty and graduate students involved in research and creative projects who can teach and mentor undergraduate researchers and scholars.
“I’ve had a wonderful experience working with CUGR this last semester and would like to thank them for my opportunity to push forward my research on Spatial Frequency Domain Imaging applications in diabetics.”
–Christian Crane, student researcher
CUGR Advisory Committee
- Ali Abedi, Associate Vice President for Research, and CUGR Director, Professor of ECE, COE
- Melissa Maginnis, Associate Professor of Microbiology and CUGR Associate Director
- Laura Artesani, Chair and Associate Professor, Music Education Coordinator, CLAS
- Jordan LaBouff, Associate Professor of Psychology, Associate Professor of Honors
- Jean MacRae, Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, COE
- Amelia Couture-Bue, Assistant Professor of Communication and Journalism CLAS
- Zachary Ludington, Assistant Professor of Spanish, Modern Languages and Classics
- Angel Loredo, Undergraduate Student Representative
- Stefano Tijerina, Lecturer, Management, MBS
- Deborah Eremita, Undergraduate Program Coordinator, Assistant Professor of Nursing, NSFA
- Timothy Cole, Associate Dean for Academics, CLAS
- Ellen Weinauer, Dean of Honors College
“The experiences in this program were incredibly helpful and I firmly believe that I am a better mentor and scholar as a result. I have learned skills and ideas that help to create a research environment that both meets the developmental needs of new researchers and assists them in building the research skills that last a lifetime.”
–Daniel Puhlman, Assistant Professor of Family Studies
Find out more information about our CUGR Faculty Fellows Program.