CUGR Undergraduate Research Fellowships
The Academic Year and Summer Fellowships were established to help provide financial
support for undergraduate students in hopes of creating an environment where students can
become involved in meaningful faculty-supervised research. Student’s proposals are reviewed
and scored by the CUGR Advisory Committee. The awarded projects are selected based on the
scores from the reviews and panel discussions. Each proposal must include an abstract, project
description, a timeline, a budget justification, and a faculty commitment letter.
CUGR Fellowship Award Amounts:
• Academic Year Fellowships: Each fellowship provides an $1100 award for the student to help cover
costs of the project, including stipend, supplies, qualifying travel, etc.
• Summer Fellowships: Each fellowship provides a $3000 award for the student to help cover costs
of the project, including stipend, supplies, qualifying travel, etc.
1. Any undergraduate student currently enrolled in a degree program at the University of Maine
may submit a proposal in consultation with a faculty mentor.
2. Applicants need to describe the research, placing it in the context of scholarly activities, while
presenting in such a way that it is understandable to the reviewers from outside of the applicant’s
3. Award Recipients must submit a report including technical and financial data by May 1 and
are expected to present the product of their research at the Annual UMaine Student Symposium:
Research and Creative Activity.